Tuesday 25 April 2017

2. Who's the audience for my media product? & 3. How did I attract/address my audience?

2. When choosing my genre for my magazine, one critical factor I took into account was what music I enjoyed listening to and what spoke to me as both an individual and my social group. For this reason I chose to do grime/UK rap, as this is the genre of music I personally enjoy the most along with my group of friends, it is something we really connect to. So in order to decide the target audience for my magazine I had to first identify the demographic of grime music as whole as this is who I expect and want to buy my magazine, due to the terminology used and subject matters which will in turn only mean something to as select group of individuals. As it so happened, I found this group to be both males and females between the ages of 16 and 25. This is also partly why I chose grime as my genre, it is not gender specific and although the younger generation will only tend to enjoy it, the music has such a wide net of all ages, genders, ethnicities and religions. 
(see Ideal Reader post for further detail on the specifics)

Penumbra Effect

The penumbra effect is basically an individual or group of individuals buy your product even though they do not fit your target audience. As the grime genre is an ever expanding and growing genre in this modern day, with more and more listeners daily I have prepared for this effect as to reduce cause of discrimination against any social groups or demographics. My magazine is targeted at a smaller audience then many other products as to give it a more personal and less saturated feel, so for the penumbra effect to take place is unlikely however it could happen, as history of rap has taught us, anyone can get into the music and it speaks to everyone.

3. I will attract and address my target audience by making the prose and content seem as if it speaks to them personally, based on their own experiences and lifestyle, I have made my magazine offer an outlet to escape from many of my audiences life struggles or problems, immerse themselves and get lost listening to their favourite MCs whilst having them speak directly to them via the words on the page. The content is such a vital part of a good magazine, and I have chosen particularly captivating font types, word choices and colour schemes to draw the audience in. I want my magazine and the music genre of grime to go hand in hand, so in order to capture this I wrote the mode of address seem as they could be lyrics in a track, whilst this was hard to do in places I feel in particular the interview really spoke a story that could easily have been real lyrics in a real rap or grime song.


No comments:

Post a Comment